August 13, 2016
Dear Franklin Regional High School Students,
On behalf of the faculty, staff and administration at the high school, allow me to welcome you to the 2016-2017 school year. I am honored and humbled to serve as your principal and very excited to get the school year started. Provided we are in agreement on a couple of key points, I have no doubt 2016-2017 will be a great one for FRHS and that - working together - we can make our high school the # 1 school in the region!
First and foremost, this building exists - and we are employed - for one purpose: your learning! Whether you are an incoming freshman or a graduating senior, I challenge you to come through our doors each morning wanting and expecting to learn. I promise you that your principals, your teachers and our staff will have your learning as our number one goal each day. Please make it yours and we will help you.
Secondly, FRHS should be a place where all persons feel safe, valued and respected. I anticipate and expect that your actions - each day - will do nothing but increase the level of safety, value and respect that each of us feels here at the HS. Although I have no doubt that you will share this goal with me, I am also aware that none of us are perfect and that we may make some mistakes along the way. To that end, we have to have some rules and clarifications in place. Incoming Freshmen will receive a student handbook/planner on or about the first day of school. (Students in grades 10-12 will not be issued a planner and will need to access the handbook via the website.) I ask that you carefully review the handbook with your parents/guardians and return the receipt of agenda form to your period one teacher.
Thirdly, school and learning can and should be fun! Please plan on taking advantage of all that your classes have to offer and of the multitude of athletic, co-curricular, extra-curricular and social opportunities available to you here at the high school.
Finally, FRHS has always been a great place with great kids from great families representing great communities. Each of us working at the high school enter the year committed to working each day to make our building a little bit better than it was the day before. I ask that you also make this commitment to yourselves and work to improve as a student a little bit every day. If we all do this, I have no doubt that 2016-2017 will be the best year in the storied history of our
Now, a few items of business:
1. Your first day of school will be Wednesday, August 24th.
2. Our annual school picture day will take place on Monday, September 14th.
3. Your locker combination and your schedule for the year have already been mailed to you. Please understand that - unless you have completed a course in summer school, you are missing a course required for graduation or we have made an error - no schedule changes based on preferences are possible. Please bring your schedules and your locker combinations with you on the first day.
4. Your bus stop and scheduled pick-up times were included in our mailing. Until we get the routes perfected, bus times may be off slightly for a week or two. So that you don't miss your bus in the morning, please plan on arriving at your stop at least ten minutes before the published times.
5. Because we have a limited number of parking spaces, only those students with a valid FRHS parking pass have the privilege of driving to school. While I tend to understand that adolescents make mistakes, allow me to be clear in my belief - shared by all of us here at the HS - nobody drives to school by accident. To quote Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that." (If you don't know who Forrest Gump is, please check with your parents/guardians).
Lastly, I ask that you please ask your parents/guardians to read this also. Your parents/guardians remain a vital partner in your educational journey. Trust me on this one - I am speaking from experience. Without my parents, I would certainly not be your principal and may still be in high school. After you review this letter with your families, I would ask that anyone with questions please feel free to give the high school office a call.
If we don't hear from you before then, all of us at the high school will look very forward to seeing you soon. You have my assurance that your principals, teachers and staff will do our parts to ensure that this is a year of learning, respect and fun for you and your classmates. I have every expectation that you will do your part to make 2016-2017 the best in FRHS history. I can't wait to see each of you on the 24th and of course...
Mr. Ron Suvak