Educational Travel Policy
regional has a policy in place for requesting educational travel. The
School Board has granted five school days per year for students to
travel outside of the district during the regular school term.
request approval, parents must obtain a form from the school office (or
download from above) several weeks before the planned trip. It should
be completed by the parents and returned to the classroom teacher who
will fill in the student's number of days absent and average academic
progress to date. The form is forwarded to the principal for a final
review. Please note that there are conditions that must be met to
approve a request for travel. They include:
- The total number of days cannot amount to more than five school days
- The student must be traveling with parents or a relative
- Academic progress should be satisfactory
- The number of days absent so far in the school year should be minimal
- The days must not conflict with standardized testing dates
- The form must be submitted at least 10 days prior to the first day of absence
- The trip cannot take place during the first or last week of the school year
If a student participates in travel that has not been approved, those
days will be documented as unexcused, which are considered illegal
absences. More than three unexcused absences per year can result in
truancy charges filed with the local magistrate.
If the request
is made fewer than ten days prior to travel, teachers are not required
to prepare class work and assignments for the student.
If you have questions about the policy and procedure regarding educational travel, please call the school.